Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

The Lightning Thief is the first book in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. There are five books total. In The Lightning Thief, the main character(Percy Jackson) finds out that all those myths he learned about in Greek Mythology are true. The gods are real and his father he's never known is one among them. With his newfound identity as a half-blood(half god-half mortal), Percy and his friends must undertake a quest in order to prevent a war between the gods. Percy must go on a great adventure to retrieve a stolen item before it's too late to stop the gods from throwing the world into chaos.

What's my opinion? I can honestly say it's a great book. I wouldn't read anything less than my standards(high as they are). Riordan's view of these myths in our modern times are very interesting and fun to think about. I love the ways he's chosen to portray all the gods and monsters. It's all very well thought out, all of it. It's such an original and exceedingly fascinating idea--Greek mythology in this age. But I think what I enjoy most is the humorous ways he chooses to display some of the things. I laughed out loud to a couple of Percy's sarcastic thoughts and comments.

Percy, our hero in this tale, has such a likable personality about him. And he seems so real too. He has problems like we can have, plus that added trouble that comes with being a half-blood. What's not to love? The Percy Jackson series is one of my all-time favorites, it's such a thrill to read. It really captivates one's imagination.

I think this is a good book for teens. But don't let that detract you if you're not that young, just give it a try for the sake of trying. There's a good chance you might just like it!

Thanks, TeenReader

1 comment:

  1. Hi Teen Reader!
    I love your blog!!!! You write such completely thorough entries! I'm going to subscribe to it, so that I can read it every time you update! I love to see what you're reading. As much as I've been reading this year, I haven't blogged at all - it's been since last summer since I last updated my blog, but you're inspiring me to get back into it! Check out my blog: http://summertimereader.blogspot.com/ I'll start updating it again soon! Keep up the good work!
    Mrs. Shealy

    ReplyDelete